Jean-Louis Cohen is the Sheldon H. Solow Professor in the History of Architecture at New York University’s Institute for Fine Arts. His research of the past decades builds upon his double identity of architect and historian, exploring theory and design from 1900 to the present day. He argues that since ancient times, cities have never stopped observing each other, as patterns and structures have been displaced across borders and oceans. Between 1997 to 2003 he created, on behalf of the French Minister of Culture, the Cité de l'architecture et du patrimoine, a museum, research, and exhibition center, which opened in 2007 in the Paris Palais de Chaillot. He is the author of more than forty books published in many countries and translated in several languages.